Last Fall Break

Happy October everyone! Fall is upon us and the semester seems to just get busier and busier. In fact, I’m pretty sure that this week is that dreaded ‘midterms week’ for a lot of us on campus. Personally, this has been one of the less challenging midterms period I’ve experienced here at Bryn Mawr, so for that I am thankful (especially as a thesis-ing Senior). But! I also know that there are a lot of people who still have a paper and exam or two, so push through! What makes ‘Done is Good’ even sweeter is the fact that – yes – Fall Break is next week!

As an semi-international student, I understand that going back home for all of the breaks is a difficult task – and often unrealistic. But do not fear! Bryn Mawr is in a prime location on the east coast, and there’s a lot to do and much to explore. I thought I’d take some time to reminisce and give some ideas that you could consider for some fun Fall Break adventures.

The City that Never Sleeps – NYC!
For my very first Fall Break, I decided to take a trip to New York to visit family and friends. New York and Philadelphia are very close, regardless of whether you take a bus (megabus & bolt seem to be the most popular options) or train (amtrak & the NJ transit!). After a 1 and 1/2 hr – 2 hour trip, I arrived in the city, and explore Manhattan. Some really great things to do include:

MoMA – The Museum of Modern Art has always been one of those places where I feel there’s always something going on. Whatever the occasion, I always know that there is something interesting happening at this museum. The exhibitions are all about contemporary and modern art, which puts a creative twist on the museum experience, as well as makes it very dynamic in that the exhibitions are always changing and there are sometimes even pop ups (like the tilda swinton exhibition last year). What’s even great is that there’s a student discount for full-time students!  
Times Square – one of the iconic tourist destinations of NYC, Times Square is always bustling with people from all over the world. Known for the ball drop on New Year’s Eve, people are always looking to visit this famous intersection to see all of the lights and dazzle of the shops that occupy the streets around it. If you’re ever interested in just hanging out, drinking a coffee and hanging out with friends on the TKTS stairs, this is the place!
High Line Park – This is a really special park that’s located in the meatpacking district. Built on top of an old freight rail line, this place really is a beautiful outdoor location for couples, friends and family to enjoy. It’s a great place to take a jog in the morning, or simply stroll around with friends, enjoying the artsy restaurants. I went during the spring and it was absolutely beautiful – plus the view of the city was a sure plus!

Our Nation’s Capital – DC!
During Sophomore year, I headed south to Washington DC to visit some friends at Georgetown (you can read a more detailed version of the trip here!). Bus and Train are again the most efficient ways to get here from Philadelphia 30th Street. DC is great in that it’s a great tourist attraction and of course, there’s the Smithsonian Museums all around the National Mall. Personal favorites include the American History Museum, the Air and Space Museum, as well as the Natural History Museum. There are tons of memorials that are worth visiting if anything for great photo ops, such as the Lincoln, Washington and Jefferson memorials. Visit Georgetown and get a cupcake (or two) at the original Georgetown Cupcakes, or Baked & Wired. There are tons of trendy shops all along M street, which is seated right along the Potomac River.

And Of Course, Your Backyard – Philadelphia!
If New York and DC aren’t calling your name, there’s always the option of getting to know your very own city – Philadelphia – on a more intimate level. Although I’ve never spent an entire break in Philly, there’s definitely a lot going on all the time. I really like to check out the Visit Philly website, because that’s how I learn about the special events that are going on around the city. Personal favorites are the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Penn’s Landing as well as checking out Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. For good eats, I would personally recommend Sabrina’s for a casual brunch, Audrey Claire in Rittenhouse Square for a more chic dinner vibe (you have to get their mussels!), or Lil’ Pop Shop right near UPenn (Green Tea Mochi is to die for!).

I simply cannot believe that Fall Break is already here – just as I suspected, Senior year is going by at what seems like 81923081293 miles a minute! Looking back at all of my Fall Break experiences really reminds me to appreciate the fact that Bryn Mawr even has a break in October, and it’s great location near all of these great cities. So whatever you end up doing during this break, take advantage of this mid-way break we have this semester!

Until Next Time!