Taking Classes at Penn

It’s already almost the middle of February and I feel like I just got back for Spring term yesterday. One of the best things about going to Bryn Mawr is the fact that i’m given so many options when it comes to classes and where I can go find them. It’s something that I’ve been reminded of, especially this year after taking advantage of the Quaker Consortium with the University of Pennsylvania. Not only do I have access to a bigger campus, but I also have access to professors and resources that enhance my academic experience.

Last semester, I was pretty much consumed by my research for my senior thesis. As a History major, I had decided to write about Korean history in relation to the Japanese occupation from 1910 to 1945. We have a great East Asian Studies department here at Bryn Mawr and Haverford, but there is a huge focus on China and Japan. I needed a mentor and expert on Korean history, and that’s where UPenn came in. I took a class with a History professor at Penn last semester, which was a survey class of Korean history, beginning  in the medieval period. Not only was I ecstatic about taking the class, I was also relieved and thankful to find a professor who specialized in Korean history, and so close by! He became someone I was able to confer with on a weekly basis, and I found many primary and secondary sources via his expertise and the Van Pelt Library on Penn’s campus.

This semester, I am taking a senior seminar with the same professor. I am also taking a class about Asian Americans in pop culture with a sociology professor who is an absolute joy to listen to and learn from. Bryn Mawr has given me an almost 4-D experience in that it not only provided a holistic academic experience on its own, but also provided 3 other options (4 for some who decide to take advantage of Villanova!) through the Tri-Co and Quaker Consortium with Haverford, Swarthmore and UPenn. It was one of the top, if not the #1 reason why I chose to attend this school almost four years ago, and I haven’t regretted my decision! The transportation options via the Blue Bus, Tri-Co Van and the reimbursement program for Penn have made it so easy for me and i’m sure many other students to make the most of our four years as students of the Philadelphia area, and I’m going to make sure I take advantage of the time that I have left!

Until Next Time!