Calling all Foodies!

As a second semester Senior (who is done done done with her thesis, yay!), i’ve found a lot of time to explore around Philadelphia and the Mainline… in terms of food! Yes, Bryn Mawr foodies, there are so many hidden gems (as well as famous eats!) all around our school, and for the remainder of my time as a Banter Blogger, I hope to reveal as many places as possible – and hey, enjoy some good food while doing it!

As someone who has lived abroad, as well as studied abroad and just had the blessing to travel, i’ve realized that no matter where you go, there will always be new types of food all around you to try out, as well as food that will comfort you regardless of your situation. I know i’ve had my fair share of healthy food therapy while here at Mawr, so in celebration of that, i’ve decided to write about the places i’ve been and the places i’ll go! Plus – i’m a bit of an instagram junkie, so food pics are natural, so why not write about it too?

our delicious medium-rare fillet mignon!

Philadelphia Restaurant Week – This past month, I had the chance to experience Philly Restaurant Week. It happens once every semester, and boy, don’t miss out! This time, I got to experience Valanni, which specialized in Spanish and Mediterranean cuisine. We had the most delicious pre-fixe dinner course, which included tapas, paella, fillet mignon and a mouth-watering fried-oreo (what?!) dessert. I recommend this place for a GNO, date night, or even just a place for drinks (for those who are above 21 of course!). The bar area had mood lighting and although small, it was cozy, not cramped. The restaurant was busy and packed by the time we got there, and it definitely had a youthful vibe. The paella had plenty of seafood and could easily feed two people, and the fillet mignon was cooked to perfection. You’ll find it at 1229 Spruce St. and trust me, you won’t be disappointed! For those who can’t wait for the next restaurant week to try this place out, I do think that they  have something for Valentine’s Day and a special Sunday Brunch menu for the day after. Overall, the prices were reasonable (especially for restaurant week) and i’d definitely go back if the opportunity presented itself.

Until Next Time!